Decision Day
My first impression on InDesign and Premiere Pro was that they are very complicated apps. They both have hundreds of buttons that lead to other buttons all with their own individual purpose. I can see why there are tutorials online. Initially upon first view it is overwhelming. You have a goal of what you want to create but you don’t always know where to start with these kinds of advanced programs. I want to do the magazine for the project. I already am experienced with photoshop so looking around InDesign was not nearly as confusing to me. I know I could create good quality photos by combining my knowledge in Photoshop and use them in InDesign well because I already figured out how to make a paged template for a magazine and how to insert text next to or on top of any photo imported on InDesign.
With magazines you are trying to explain things whether it is a story or an explanation of a person. A lot of ways to tell that well is through pictures which is where InDesign becomes helpful. According to the article Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom, “Technology supports a wealth of storytelling options and can be used to create digital book reviews, digital puppet shows, and even movies with green screen and video-authoring apps.” This proves the point that technology is an effective way to portray articles or photos as one does in a magazine. To me video does seem like a good way to show stories but, with my current skill set I believe that Premiere Pro would not be the best for me to do. I already know how InDesign works and I don’t have as much of an interest in film. On top of that in today's age it is better to take an online approach to reach more viewers. Most people are on the internet now so creating things on InDesign make it more accessible for viewers over a paper copy. In the article Survival of the Fittest: Four Editors on the Future of Literary it states that, “There's no doubt that online journals have helped literary writers find a wider audience, and, as Brenda points out, the idea that the quality of online publications isn't as high as in print is definitely outmoded.” Along with later in the article it mentions, “You mention creative limitations and I think online journals can--and already sometimes do--open up a whole new conceptual arena.” These two quotes from the article prove the working online with magazines are a better way to create the stories anyone making a magazine wishes to convey.
Comments
Post a Comment